Who are The Marketing Society?
The Marketing Society started in England in 1959 and is a global membership organisation of over 3000 senior marketers and has 7 international hubs. It supports the development of leading-edge thinking and the evidence of effective marketing via events, awards and on and off-line publications. Its overall purpose is to inspire bolder marketing leaders and it is one of the most influential drivers of marketing in the business community. Find out more at www.marketingsociety.com
Who else is involved?
The Marketing Academy Foundation is a registered charity helping young adults from challenging backgrounds start a career in the marketing industries, mainly by funding apprenticeships and internships. We have been given a grant to co-fund these particular apprenticeships by The Direct Marketing Trust. You can check us out: www.tma-foundation.org including a video featuring past and current apprentices www.dmtrust.org Learn more about our founding organisation at www.themarketingacademy.org.uk and read about us here https://www.marketingweek.com/2017/11/14/marketing-career-option/
The apprenticeship will equip you with the basic knowledge, skills and experience to start a career in marketing and communications, specialising in digital and direct marketing. The apprenticeship programme involves:
- Working at The Marketing Society in Teddington, 15 miles South West of London.
- Gaining a recognised marketing qualification through the Institute of Direct Marketing.
- Learning the skills and knowledge to understand fundamental marketing concepts.
- Learning practical office skills – including software packages, administration systems etc.
- Developing your confidence and motivation towards a future career.
- Access to learning streams and events from The Marketing Academy Scholarship, enabling you to benefit from mentoring, coaching, networking and personalised learning.
The job you will be doing at The Marketing Society involves:
- Supporting the business teams dealing with events, memberships and sponsorship.
- Preparing for events, managing delegate list, delivering event materials and on-site support.
- Membership database management.
- Membership development including research.
- Sponsorship development, research and competitive analysis.
- Global event management, venue research, bookings and attendee management.
This is a 12 month apprenticeship and you’ll receive an annual salary of £14,400, and you will be paid monthly. The Marketing Academy Foundation will be your employer, but you will be working at The Marketing Society who will manage and support your day to day work. (It seems a bit complicated, but we’ve been doing it for seven years and it works fine!) The application process is open now and the closing date is April 30th. The Apprenticeship will begin around the start of June. We cannot guarantee you a job at the end of the year, but we will support you to look for permanent employment.
Who can apply?
- You don’t need any formal qualifications as full training will be given.
- You will need to show good communication skills and enthusiasm, as well as basic IT abilities.
- You must wish to begin a career in marketing and communications.
- You must be aged 18-30 at the start of the apprenticeship.
- We like evidence of a good work ethic, for example if you have held down a job of some kind before.
- You must be eligible for work in the UK.
Because The Marketing Academy Foundation’s charitable purpose is to support individuals from less advantaged backgrounds, we will select candidates who have faced challenges in their life so far. For instance, if you have not been able to afford to go to university or have been in care or have had education interrupted by illness or bereavement or have refugee status or grew up in a deprived area. The Direct Marketing Trust was set up to help individuals without a degree to enter the industry, so we are particularly interested in individuals without degree qualifications.
How do I apply?
You need to send us three things:
- Your CV: This includes all your contact information and any qualifications or experience to date. Experience may be from paid or voluntary work, other formal or informal activities. Tell us about your hobbies, interests and the things you are most proud to have achieved. If you don’t have a CV, there are plenty of templates and guides available online. This should be no more than two sides of A4 paper.
- Reference Letter: Ask someone who knows you well to write a supporting letter, explaining why they think you should be chosen for this opportunity. It could be from a parent or guardian, teacher or a youth worker. Ask them to explain their relationship with you and to highlight your achievements and strengths, and why an opportunity to learn the basics of marketing would be important to you. This should be no more than a side of A4 paper.
- Why Me: This is your opportunity to showcase the reasons why you should be selected for an Apprenticeship and to demonstrate your strengths and talents This should be no more than two sides of A4 paper.
Once we have received these, we will select a shortlist of people who will be invited for an interview and we will let you know if you have been selected or not.
IMPORTANT – Please state in the subject line of your email application “Go Think Big Application” so we know where you are applying from!
Have a think about whether this is the right opportunity for you
- Are you interested in a career in marketing and communications?
- Are you good at communicating with people?
- Will you be able to work full-time at The Marketing Society?
- Do you have the enthusiasm and commitment to be a real success?
If you want to apply, then complete the three elements of your application listed above. Send them to Taylor Hill, The Marketing Academy Foundation, c/o The Marketing Academy, 4A Bridge Street, Newbury, Berkshire or email them to email@example.com, to reach us no later than 30th April. We’ll let you know whether you have been shortlisted by May 11th and we will let know whether you have been successful or not, and if not, why.
REMINDER – Please state in the subject line of your email application “Go Think Big Application” so we know where you are applying from!
The Marketing Academy Foundation has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here