About the programme
Join one of 5 teams:
- Strategy, Delivery & Performance/ Enterprise Service Management (ESM): As an apprentice within ESM you’ll gain experience in a wide range of processes and applications used across Sky that help ‘keep the wheels turning’. You’ll get the chance to learn a range of functional skills including technical support, development, analysis, testing, user training and communications. You’ll also be collaborating with people across Sky Europe using the various Technology options for making that as effective as possible.
- UK Information Systems/ Application Development: This team is responsible for the correct functioning, availability and problem solving of the software applications used by Sky for its Broadband, Talk and Mobile Ordering and Repair services. In this team you will learn how software systems are created and operated by Sky. You’ll gain practical knowledge and skills in a diverse set of software technologies that will include application tools, database query languages, scripting languages, web portal, data analysis tools and more, all relevant to Data and Voice services. The team operate in an energetic and diverse environment, responding to events and incidents to restore service quickly.
- Data Technology & Operations/ Architecture: Our vision is to link our customers to move of the content they love by personalising their experience. We’re working with technology partners including Google and Tableau to understand what people watch and help them navigate quickly to new content they’ll enjoy. We’re also responsible for ensuring we take care of our customer’s data. You’ll learn how to support our business by providing information that allow them to make informed business decisions, including using the latest artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques.
- Operations/ Network Operations & Delivery: Provide 24×7 Operational Support of our Networks, Fixed Line Voice and Mobile Services from Front Line Service Operations to Subject Matter Experts in Transmission, IP, Voice Services, CDN and Security. Network Operations responsibilities include the production platforms for Broadband, Talk, Sky Mobile, Corporate Voice and the Enterprise Networks connecting our sites and underpinning our data centres. Our focus is on continual improvement, availability and performance of these critical customer services and supporting infrastructure.
- TV Operations/ Live Content Delivery/ Broadcast Platforms/ Playout Development/ Playout: This department is key to delivering the great content that Sky’s customers love. TV Operations is very much a 24/7 department, ensuring quality standards and deadlines are maintained whatever the hour, day or night. Our people are mainly shift workers who monitor and respond to events as and when they happen. They’re the ones that ensure there are no interruptions to our satellite and OTT (Broadband & Mobile) services. They plan and coordinate live feeds for Sky News, Sky Sports & Sky’s Entertainment channels, ensure programmes are accurately delivered to schedules, adjusting as required by changes and the dynamic nature of live broadcast and ensure the delivery of channels and content to customers through a huge range of delivery streams. As an apprentice you’ll gain a variety of experience as you rotate through our departments; following the life-cycle of Sky’s content.
Just so you know: you’ll work with a broad range of Sky content in the TV Operations role, some of which isn’t suitable for under-18s. So we won’t be able to accept applications from people who will be younger than 18 years old by 9th September 2019.
- Passionate about technology and our brand
- Collaborative and great with people
- A self-starter, resilient when it gets hectic
- A problem-solver
- Approachable and adaptable
Sky Q, a generous pension and private health care. Access to over 12,000 LinkedIn Learning courses to support your development. And if that’s not enough, our award-winning Osterley campus boasts six subsidised restaurants, a cinema, gym, and much more.
When to apply
The current closing date for applications is 4 March 2019. But things move quickly around here, so apply now to avoid disappointment.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Training period: two years
Requirements: at least five GCSEs A* – C (or equivalent grades 9-4), including English and Maths.
Qualification achieved: Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Standard, Level 4 Development Ops Engineer Standard, Level 4 Network Engineer Standard
Start date: 9th September 2019
Sky has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here