The C4 Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
- You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you have a Marketing related qualification at a Level 3 or higher.
Channel 4 is a publicly owned, privately funded UK broadcaster with a remit to produce innovative, alternative and culturally diverse television. In order to achieve its ambitions, the organisations Technology services need to be delivered as efficiently, effectively and reliably as possible, including the underlying technology supporting business users to deliver their services and the platforms delivering TV and digital content to the public.
The Channel 4 Regional Service Management team, part of the wider Technology team, has an important role in ensuring user experience is delivered as expected within current contracts, assisting all users to get more from the technology, identifying and leading areas of service enhancement, and supporting the roll out of new technology with a particular focus on the user experience and benefit to business.
This role will be based in the National HQ in Leeds but will require some travel to the other C4 locations in London, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol
During your time at Channel 4 you will be asked to, amongst other things;
- Manage contacts from users, responding to queries, requests, escalations and coordinating service tasks across the team.
- Managing the logistics and administration of assets and consumables across the regional sites.
- Undertake data analysis and present the information in interesting ways to help with data and service assurance, service improvements, support project delivery and a range of decision making.
- Review performance information, quantitative and qualitative to identify and prioritise areas for improvement.
- Support project development and delivery assisting with the development and delivery of communications, updating user guidance and knowledge articles.
- Represent Channel 4 in meetings with internal and external suppliers and stakeholder
- Assist in writing and updating of policies related to the use and management of technology.
- Engage delivery stakeholders from across the organisation and external suppliers to develop support models, associated processes, information flows, service descriptions and refine roles and responsibilities.
- Be passionate about and have an understanding of the Channel 4 remit
This apprenticeship would really suit someone who:
- Is interested in a career in Technology services
- Is passionate about customer service and helping others
- Has great written communication skills
- Enjoys working with data
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Passionate about starting a career in Technology
- Basic knowledge of some IT programmes (Microsoft Excel and Office) and confidence learning how to use new software
- Able to offer solutions and ideas to improve processes
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others, particularly around topics they may not have as much knowledge on as you
- Great organisation skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise these accordingly
- Interest in analysing data and explaining your findings
- Great written communication skills
- Able to build relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside of C4
- Understanding and passion for the Channel 4 brand and remit
To complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Please outline how you meet the ‘Essential Experience & Skills’ outlined in the Job Description (Max 500 words)
- Service Management is all about ensuring the technology is right for the job, keeps doing what it should and there is continuous improvement. Why do you think these things are important and important to Channel 4? (Max 200 words)
- A lot of the work we do is about trying to ensure our processes work well and people working in Channel 4 have a good experience each time they need something from the IS Service. Describe three things you think are important in creating a good process and why they matter? (Max 200 words)
- We work with a lot of people who would describe themselves as ‘not technical’. You need to describe why Microsoft Teams is great at helping them do their job. How would you communicate/explain it to them in a way they can easily relate to? (Max 200 words)
- If you were a Channel 4 programme which one would describe you the best and why? (Max 150 words)
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
If you are unable to complete a written application form, we want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual. If needed we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. If you would like to apply for an opportunity at 4Talent and we can help to make that process simpler for you, please email us at 4Talent@channel4.co.uk or call Yasmin Mehmet on 0207 306 5188.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Start Date: 15th March 2021
Application close date: November 1st 2020
Finale interview date: 19th January 2021
Qualification: Level 3 Digital Support Technician
Length: 16 months
Channel 4 has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here