The C4 Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
- You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you have a Marketing related qualification at a Level 3 or higher.
Channel 4 is a publicly owned, privately funded UK broadcaster with a remit to produce innovative, alternative and culturally diverse television. Its bold approach means that it must have the ability to protect the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of its intellectual property.
The Channel 4 Information Security team play a critical role in protecting the Channel from Cyber-attacks and educating the staff about the dangers of the online world. The successful apprentice would gain insight into all areas of Cyber security in the broadcasting industry, from Commissioning to Legal, Press and publicity to technology.
This apprenticeship would suit someone who:
- Has a passion and interest in developing a career in Cyber Security
- Can think about the different potential security threats to a business and what the outcome could be and how this can be stopped
- Is comfortable working with high-level and confidential information
- Works well under pressure
- During your time at Channel 4 you will be asked to, amongst other things;Review regular threat intelligence instances to determine the level of risk to the company and advise accordingly
- Present awareness seminars to staff about the perils and pitfalls of the online world
- Review 3rd party companies and advise on whether they meet the high standards required to work with Channel 4
- Represent Channel 4 externally in meetings, and at conferences
- Use internal and external resources as sources of security related information and provide recommendations to the business
- Assist in the writing and updating of key policies that will be adopted across the company.
- Liaise with other broadcasters to ensure a consistency when applying information security across the industry
- Run Penetration tests against systems to discover vulnerabilities.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Maths and English GCSE A-C, 4-9
- Have opted to start your career in finance/accountancy
- Understands financial terminology and basic accounting principles
- Highly numerate with good data analysis ability
- Be able to demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable dealing with a variety of different stakeholders both internal C4 and external suppliers
- Excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable working on a wide variety of tasks, some of which may be administrative and repetitive
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
- Enjoys providing excellent customer service and exceeding expectations
- Team player who can collaborate effectively and efficiently but who can also work (when required) independently
- Able to use own initiative to scout areas for improvements and suggest improvements for recurrent issues
- Enjoys learning new things and adapts quickly to ever changing deadlines
- Understanding and passion for the Channel 4 brand and remit
This is for some who:
- Is looking to start a career in a Finance/Accounting department
- Loves numbers
- Has excellent attention to detail and is comfortable inputting important data
- Is willing to do sometimes repetitive but crucial tasks
To complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Please outline how you meet the ‘Essential Experience & Skills’ outlined in the Job Description (Max 500 words)
- Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability are the cornerstones of the information security industry. But which one do you think is the most important and applies most to Channel 4 and why? (Max 200 words)
- You’re to deliver a security awareness presentation but you can only use four non security / non-technical household items. What would they be? How would you relate them to cyber security and why did you choose them? (Max 200 words)
- You need to explain a technical security issue to someone who is not technical and who works in a non-technical department. How would you begin to communicate/explain the issue? (Max 200 words)
- Sum yourself up in a tweet (max 280 characters)
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
If you are unable to complete a written application form, we want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual. If needed we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. If you would like to apply for an opportunity at 4Talent and we can help to make that process simpler for you, please email us at 4Talent@channel4.co.uk or call Yasmin Mehmet on 0207 306 5188.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Start Date: 15th March 2021
Application close date: November 1st 2020
Finale interview date: 14th January 2021
Qualification: Level 4 NVQ Cyber Security Technologist
Length: 16 months
Channel 4 has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here