The Finance department provides Channel 4 with financial support and advice, ensuring the Corporation’s advertising revenue is working hard to deliver our public service, creative and commercial ambitions. Channel 4 Finance works with all areas of the organisation, giving guidance on financial reporting, investments and all general finance matters.
The role involves a 3-month rotation, assisting in the day to day financial activities within each area (as noted above) of the Finance Department so as to gain knowledge and understanding of how a Finance Department operates, with a view to progressing into a number of different possible career paths within a Financial environment.
This team is responsible for preparing monthly Financial Performance, Board and Annual Reports & Accounts; leading the annual budget process, monthly forecasting and maintaining the Channel 4 medium term financial plan. The team also accounts for corporate support cost centres; provides technical accounting advice and guidance to the wider finance team and manages the audit process. Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable,, Treasury & Tax, Procurement, Royalties and Systems Administration functions (all described below) are all managed within the Financial Control team.
Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
These functions are responsible for managing C4’s receipts and payments. Our primary receipts relate to advertising spend whilst our biggest costs area relate to content.
Treasury & Tax
The Tax function is responsible for compliance with tax legislation including Corporation tax, VAT and employment taxes. It also provides support to the finance team as well as the wider business on tax issues. The Treasury function is responsible for managing cash and investment position for the Group, monitoring liquidity and hedging financial risk.
Whilst Procurement sits within Finance, it works with departments across the whole business to provide support when buying products or services, particularly when they are of high value or high risk. The team is also responsible for managing the contracts management system (CMS).
Procurement provides commercial advice, market knowledge and assists with the following; defining scope and requirements, finding a suitable supplier, creating a contract, identifying and managing risks including compliance to legislation, negotiation and contract management.
This team is responsible for preparing and dispatching Royalties statements to pay the producers and rights owners of films and programmes. The team will produce thousands of statements a year across a number of revenue streams including Film4 (old library titles such as Trainspotting), DVD and DTO (DVD and sales on iTunes, Amazon and other such platforms) and UK Secondary Sales (programmes sold to other TV networks).
Systems Administration is responsible for maintaining and developing the financial systems used across the department. This includes working with the Financial Control team to administer Oracle E-Business Finance modules, Hyperion Planning, Basware, Treasury systems and additional linked systems.
• Assist with the preparation of accurate and high quality monthly and quarterly reporting and forecasting
• Ad hoc analysis of financial data
• Assist with the audit and annual report processes
• Assist with delivering annual budget
• Assist with the preparation of month end journals (including accruals and prepayments)
• Attend monthly and quarterly budget holder meetings
• Attend quarterly Balance Sheet Review meetings and assist with reviewing all support provided
• Process supplier invoices and query resolution
• Auditing staff expenses
• Supporting billing and cash collection process
• Setting up new customer records and credit vetting
• Assist with preparation of Royalty statements
• Assist with reconciliation and coding VAT only invoices
• Assist and support Procurement team with supplier tenders
• Administration of contract management system (CMS) / CMS reporting deadlines
• Assist with preparation of VAT and Corporation Tax returns
• Assist with preparation of monthly bank reconciliations and daily cash flow reporting
• Providing ad hoc support to the wider Finance team (Content, Sales, Technology Strategy & Operations) as and when needed
• Gain an understanding of Channel 4 departments and how they contribute to Group performance
• Assist with the planning of Finance social events
Essential attributes for a great candidate
• 5 GCSEs, including Maths (minimum B grade) and English
• Desire to work within a Finance environment
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills (as will be dealing with all areas of Finance as well as other departments within the business)
• Excellent attention to detail
• Willingness to assist in all tasks
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure
• Positive ‘can do’ attitude
• Team player who can collaborate effectively and efficiently but who can also work (when required) independently
• Able to use own initiative to scout areas for improvements and suggest improvements for recurrent issues
• Ability to learn and adapt quickly to ever changing deadlines
Alternative Application Formats
We want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual, so we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. If you would like to apply for an opportunity at 4Talent and we can do anything to make that process simpler for you, please email us at 4Talent@channel4.co.uk or call Yasmin Mehmet on 0207 306 5188.
Start Date: 3rd September
This apprenticeship last 15 months.
Channel 4 has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here