The C4 Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
- You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you have a Marketing related qualification at a Level 3 or higher.
The Advertising Research & Development (AR&D) team are part of the wider Strategy & Consumer Insight department at Channel 4. Our primary objective is to use insight to support the 4Sales team in selling advertising across our TV channels and All 4 platform. This is an important role, as it allows Channel 4 to fund the programmes we make!
We do this through:
- Proving that advertising on our TV channels and All 4 work
- Supporting advertising agencies and brands deliver their marketing objectives through insight and understanding how marketing works
- Doing research on our viewers to ensure we really understand our audiences
- Staying on top of the latest industry trends and developments
Recent examples of the kinds of projects the AR&D team have done include:
- A study looking at the relationships young people have with brands across 11 sectors and 200 brands. This has been used as a planning tool for understanding what objectives a brand should have when marketing to youth audiences.
- An investigation into how programming that is funded by a brand is received by audiences, and how it works.
- A project looking at how precisely how viewers use platforms like All 4 & ITV Hub
- An ongoing community of 16-24-year olds who help us understand what is important to young people across the UK.
- You can have a look at some of our projects on the 4Sales website https://www.4sales.com/insights
During your time in the AR&D team you’ll get involved in all areas of the work we do, from primary research to understand how a brands marketing is working, to using our tools to see how many people watched Bake Off this week! There’ll also be specific projects for you to work on and we’ll help you to quickly build up your skills and knowledge of the media industry.
You will be working in Channel 4’s Manchester office, which is home to the 4Sales regional team.
This apprenticeship would really suit someone who:
- Is interested in pursuing a career in Research and/or Marketing
- Has an interest in advertising
- Enjoys collating information and is interested in different research methods
- Enjoys working with numbers
- Support 4Sales in helping marketing agencies and brands understand their audience in order to plan and deliver marketing activity. This will be across a broad range of sectors and industries.
- Understand how marketing works across our different platforms, in order to prove benefits of advertising with Channel 4.
- Use a range of industry research tools as well as primary research to answer the questions of marketing planners at agencies across the UK.
- Support the team with larger insight projects throughout the year to present to marketing agencies and brands across the UK.
- Help us ‘market our research’ by creating content for the Sales team and external marketing agencies.
- Be part of a team that are a regular contact for stakeholders and deal with their day to day requests.
- Help the team set up and run projects that prove how TV sponsorships and adverts work, or explain how and why viewers watch our shows.
- Create regular reports, e.g. channel performance reports, advertising spend reports, etc.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A passion for advertising and understanding how marketing works
- Genuine curiosity about what makes people tick and why
- Be comfortable conducting research on your own and then presenting your findings
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good numeracy skills and confident working with numbers
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail
- Ability to follow instructions and work both independently and part of a team
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Keen interest in analysing data and digging for insights
- Understanding and passion for the Channel 4 brand and remit
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
We want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual, so we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five-minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. If you would like to apply for an opportunity at 4Talent and we can do anything to make that process simpler for you, please email us at 4Talent@channel4.co.uk or call Yasmin Mehmet on 0207 306 5188.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Start Date: 15th March 2021
Finale interview date: 25th January 2021
Qualification: L3 Marketing Assistant
Length: 18 months
Channel 4 has signed up to our GoThinkBig Manifesto, download it here